It was my honor yesterday to receive this little award from one of my favorite bloggers, Deborah from Love and a Licked Spoon. If you haven’t checked out her site, hurry over there right now. Deborah is a food writer and editor who writes beautifully and always comes up with something scrumptious to share with her readers. Her passion for food and life is infectious. Deborah started her food blog at around the same time that I started mine. She has always been very encouraging, commenting on all of my posts along the way. When you are just starting out in the blogging world, it is heart-warming to know that there are people out there that like what you’re doing, that come visit your site more than once, and take the time to make kind comments. It gives one the fortitude to keep going on days you wonder what the hell you’re doing this for.
When you receive the Kreativ Blogger Award, you are to nominate seven bloggers that you admire and pass the award on. Mine are:
Rachael at La Fuji Mama for her energy and enthusiasm in the kitchen. She is a busy mom to two beautiful little girls but still finds the time to blog on an almost daily basis and cook the most amazing, complicated feasts. I mean, this woman makes her own tofu!
Shari at Whisk: A Food Blog is an inspiration with her blog. She has put an astounding amount of energy into it, compiling an online cooking companion to Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Shari is cooking her way through the Cordon Bleu curriculum. Her recipes and photos are both delicious.
Hélène at La Cuisine d’Hélène for her beautiful photography and exquisite taste. Every time I read her blog I want to run to the kitchen and try my hand at whatever she has posted.
Julia at Mélanger because she is so inspiring with her baking. The sun came pouring out of the heavens on the day I discovered her blog. The photography on her blog is stunning.
Julie at Dinner with Julie because she continually amazes me. She works, manages a family, writes books, cooks up a storm, and blogs pretty much on a daily basis. I don’t know where she finds all that energy. Lucky for us.
Adrienne at Gastroanthroplogy for all her interesting posts from her travels. She is a pastry chef who is currently working on her Master’s in Food Policy. She knows everything there is to know about food and always posts the most delicious recipes.
Kamran at The Sophisticated Gourmet is an inspiration with his beautiful blog and wonderful photography, which are made all the more amazing because this guy is only seventeen! That in no way is meant to sound condescending. I think I’m doing fairly okay but I was the biggest twit when I was seventeen. We can only imagine what great things are in store for Kamran.
Once we have nominated whom we want to pass the award on to, we have to come up with seven interesting facts about ourselves:
1) I am a fiction writer. I started writing about food only a few months ago but I have been writing fiction all my life. I have a Master’s degree in Creative Writing and have been working on the Great Canadian Novel for longer than I want to admit. One day I will finish it. I have written poetry, scripts and memoir as well.
2) My family is from the former Yugoslavia and I have visited there thirteen times. We were there when the war between Serbia and Croatia was breaking out and had to make our escape. Most of my fiction is based on my upbringing and the people and experiences there.
3) I studied Art History in Florence. In Italian. I spent a summer semester immersing myself in Italian language and culture; it still stands out as the best experience of my life. I was not able to keep up the Italian. I can barely speak a lick of it now, although at one time I actually knew it quite well.
4) I’m a book-a-holic. Sometimes I read one book a day. I always read at least a couple every week. I have gotten rid of thousands of books in my life but my shelves, furniture–even my floors–overflow with books. It seems like I never have enough time to do all the things I’m supposed to do, but I always have time to read.
5) My two worst fears are heights and enclosed spaces, made all the worse by being stuck in an elevator on the top floor of the Eiffel Tower for twenty minutes. The Eiffel Tower! Who gets stuck in the Eiffel Tower? Me, that’s who. Yeah, that was a bad day.
6) My dream is to visit Egypt. I have had deep fascination for Egyptian history and architecture for as long as I can remember. I once promised myself to visit there by the time I was forty, but forty is fast approaching … maybe one day.
7) I’m not a big TV watcher but I have a habit of getting addicted to certain shows long after the fact. I missed the whole Twin Peaks craze only to become obsessed later. I am currently trying to catch up on all episodes of Lost before the final sixth season. The excitement of it all makes my heart pitter patter.
Thank you to everyone who has been reading my blog over the last few months, especially those of you who have taken the time to make comments. If you have received this award and would like to participate, please pass it on to seven other bloggers whose sites you love.